Athens For Foodies: More Than A Greek Food Tour
Discover the Greek culinary culture on a 4-hour walking tour around Athens' food scene. Let your local guide lead you through the best food spots the historical city has to offer and indulge in 15 different tastings of local flavors. Browse through the vibrant Athens Central Market, visit local shops, bakeries, traditional taverns, and restaurants and taste your way through Athens like a local!
per adult from
What's included :
- Many different tastings of traditional Greek food; more than enough for lunch!
- A 4-hour food tour with a passionate foodie guide
- An exploration of Athens Central Market
- Loads of culinary, cultural and historical anecdotes
- Goodbye gift as a memento of your experience
- We CAN provide food substitutions for vegetarians
What's excluded :
- Private transportation
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Plateia Syntagmatos, Leoforos Vassilissis Amalias, Athens 105 63 Greece
Your tour will begin with Syntagma Square, the emblematic meeting point of the Athenians, as your starting point. Meet your local foodie guide and kick off your culinary adventure with a tasting of the traditional 'koulouri'. As your guide narrates stories about the enduring history of Greek food and the local culture, go to a local favorite family-run pie shop that has stood the test of time to try a traditional phyllo pie.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Agia Irini Church, 36 Aiolou Street, Athens Greece
Next up, you will walk down the streets of Athens and reach the popular Agia Irini Square, one of the local hangouts that burst with life and mouthwatering delicacies. Visit a number of local delis and spice shops along Evripidou street and enjoy some local cheese-tasting and local meze from different parts of Greece. Featuring 15 delicious tastings, like dolmades, pastourma, feta cheese, and the famous Kalamata olives, you'll get to escape the crowds and taste the best of what Athens has to offer.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Central Market Athens, Monastiraki Greece
Your next stop will take to the heart of the city's food scene, the vibrant Athens Central Market, where you will browse the stalls and witness the wide selection of fresh meat, fish, and vegetables the locals use in their everyday cooking.
Having seen for yourself the treasures of the fertile Greek land, you can now taste traditional, homemade dishes from a family-run business. Traveling with an expert local means that you'll get an insight into the importance of food in Greek culture, the seasonability of the ingredients, and how different spices have different uses. You will discover what makes Greek cuisine so special by tasting cult-classic, authentic Greek recipes such as 'gemista', 'tzatziki', 'fava', and the world-renowned Greek salad!
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Kotzia Square, 63A Athinas St, Athens Greece
Following your filling meal, you'll stroll around Aiolou street, where one of the oldest sweet shops in Athens is located, housed in a beautiful neoclassical building, to try traditional 'loukoumades', the doughnut-like dessert the locals love. As your final stop, you will get to try a cup of traditional Greek coffee; there is nothing quite like drinking the aromatic brew after a long, adventurous day!
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Stop At: Monastiraki, Athens Greece
End your tour at the vibrant Monastiraki and go souvenir-hunting at its famous flea market. With a full stomach and a head full of wonderful memories, your perfect day will come to a perfect conclusion.
Duration: 10 minutes
Departure Point :Syntagma Square, Plateia Syntagmatos, Athina, Greece
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Monastiraki, Athina, Greece
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.