Grand Turk Historical Sightseeing Tour by Tram
See Grand Turk from top to bottom on a fun and informative tour by open-air tram that the whole family can enjoy. As the tram winds its way past churches, museums, a prison and other historical sites, a knowledgeable guide will provide narration and point out local residents like wild horses and donkeys. Stop in Cockburn Town, explore this centuries old Bermudian, colonial style buildings. Try local food and drink and do a bit of shopping, then visit the Grand Turk Lighthouse. Learn all about the island’s once-bustling sea salt industry, witness amazing bird-life, including flamingos, herons, egrets and cranes.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Food tastings (provided by local merchants)
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- 3 Lighthouse Entrance Fee (may be applied towards drinks, snacks or gift shop items)
- Your Grand Turk sightseeing tour starts at the tram station near the cruise terminal on the southern end of the island. After boarding the open-sided tram, set off on a route that takes you all the way up to Grand Turk’s northern tip.
During the tour, your local guide will narrate with fun facts and information about the island, pointing out old churches, inns, cannons, windmills and other historical attractions, and helping you spot wild horses and donkeys. Pass by Governor’s Beach and the Space Capsule on your way to Cockburn Town, where you’ll stop to enjoy a cool drink (not included in tour price) and food tastings by local merchants. You’ll also have the chance to shop for gifts and souvenirs.
Then hop back on the tram to continue north, passing by Her Majesty’s Prison, built in the 1830s, and the National Museum, housed in a colonial building. Travel by Crabtree Park and North Creek on your way to the Grand Turk Lighthouse, perched on the northern end of Grand Turk. Built in 1852, it’s the only lighthouse in the Turks and Caicos. After snapping a few photos, head back down the island.
The journey through Grand Turk also takes you past the island’s salt ponds, known as ‘salinas.’ These remnants of the country’s old salt industry are now home to flamingos and other tropical birds. As you go by them on the tram, your guide will tell you about the natural formation of the saltwater ponds and about the history of the industry, which dates back to the 1600s.
Your tour ends with return to the tram station.
Departure Point :Grand Turk Cruise Pirs, Cockburn Town TKCA 1ZZ, Turks and Caicos Islands
Departure Time :Tram departs every 45 minutes to 1 hour between 8:30am and 5:30pm
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.