Private Cairo: Alexandria Day Trip
Behold historical Alexandria, Egypt’s second-largest city on this full-day tour from Cairo. Travel to this beautiful Mediterranean coastal city, founded by Alexander the Great in 312 BC, to learn more about how it served as Egypt’s capital for nearly 1,000 years. Explore the spooky Roman catacombs of Kom ash-Shuqqafa; see medieval Fort Qaitbey where Alexandria’s fabled lighthouse once stood; and marvel at the new Alexandria Library, a disc-shaped wonder that honors the ancient library. Lastly, visit the National Museum, where Greek, Roman and medieval displays chart the city’s tumultuous past.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local guide
- Entrance fees to the catacombs
- Entrance fees to the Library
- Entrance fees to the National Museum
- Local Lunch in Alexandria
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Alexandria, Alexandria, Alexandria Governorate
Are you ready for an awe-inspiring day? Then let's get to it! Alexandria is one of the world's most impressive historical cities, and certainly a must-see in Egypt, so if you're thinking about doing this day tour from Cairo...what are you waiting for?! It'll take us about a three hour drive from Cairo before our day tour of Alexandria will truly begin, and where better to kick it off than the Catacombs of Kom Ash-Suqqafa. One of the world's largest Roman burial sites, the Catacombs are one of Alexandria's most popular attractions. Watch your head as you descend into a network of underground passages, tombs, and antechambers via aspiral staircase over a three-level labyrinth (seriously cool, isn't it?!).
Dozens of chambers with sculpted pillars and statues await your curiosity, as well as a large Roman-style banquet room, where relatives of the deceased traditionally hosted memorial meals.
Our next stop is the National Museum, home to Greek and Roman era masterpiece ruins discovered under the water on the shores of Alexandria. Super impressive old stuff right here!
We will enjoy an Egyptian local lunch , Alexandria is famous for its fresh sea food (vegetarian and other dietaries will be accommodated).
After lunch we will head to the former site of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, one of the seven ancient wonders of the world. Although the lighthouse is no longer standing, atop its ruins lie the Citadel of Qaitbay, a defensive fortress built in the 15th century. Designed as a defence along the Mediterranean coastline, the Citadel offers extensive views, fresh Mediterranean air, and a supreme sense of historical significance.
Our final stop in Alexandria day tour will be the Alexandria Library. Nerd time! Inspired by the original great library of Alexandria, the modern library was built to hold over eight million books. Built between 1995 and 2002, it covers 11 cascading levels and although it has not yet reached its capacity, it's an impressive homage to the ancient splendour of Alexandria. Pick your jaws up off the ground and explore!
As one of Egypt’s most historically significant cities, Alexandria really is a must-see for history and culture buffs. We have no doubt it will leave you enriched, impressed, and perhaps a little awe-struck.
Following recent safety incidents we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Egypt before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary.
Duration: 10 hours
Departure Point :Pharaohs Hotel, 12 Lotfy Hassouna, St، Dokki, Giza Governorate, Egypt
Departure Time :7:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- We can accommodate vegetarians. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary requests.
- Following recent safety incidents we recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Egypt before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page.
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.