Private Tour to Elefsina: Mysteries in Ancient times
Discover the myths and rituals of Elefsina (Eleusis), a sacred ancient site outside of Athens. Travel by climate-controlled minivan with a private English-speaking guide to the birthplace of the playwright Aeschylus and home of the Eleusinian Mysteries and explore ancient ruins of temples, arches, and fountains.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Transportation by luxury air conditioned vehicle
- Professional & licensed guide
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Local taxes
- Entrance fees
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Site and Museum of Eleusis
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Gratuities (optional)
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Archaeological Site and Museum of Eleusis, Perikleous 10, Elefsina 192 00 Greece
Meet your local guide and driver at your hotel and drive in a climate-controlled minivan northwest of Athens to Elefsina (Eleusis). This 4-hour private tour allows flexibility and personalized attention from your guide. Following the ancient route of Iera Odos, you’ll learn about the Eleusinan Mysteries, sacred rites and rituals that were performed in honor of the goddess Demeter. Your guide will give you a detailed understanding of the complex myths and stories of Elefsina. Upon arriving at Elefsina’s archaeological site, delve into the fascinating ruins of this ancient city. Admire the Roman courtyard with the temple of Artemis Propylaea and examine the remains of a fountain and two triumphal arches. Enter the sanctuary of the Greater Propylaea, near the preserved Kallichoron Well. Continue on to the Lesser Propylaea, and the Telesterion, the main temple of Demeter and the center of the Eleusinan Mysteries. As you wander through the ruins, your guide will explain the significance of each, deepening your understanding of this spiritual city. At the conclusion of the tour, your vehicle will return you to your Athens hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Athanasiou Diakou 26, Athina 117 43, Greece
Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up/drop off service from/to Athens hotels/apartments/Airbnb.
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 4/1/2019 - 10/31/2021
Monday - Saturday: 08:00 AM - 02:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Our guide and the driver will wear a mask throughout the duration of the tour. Whisper audio devices will be given to all our travelers to keep social distance guidelines. Mini Whispers are sanitized thoroughly both from our staff but also inside the charging cases with UVC lights sanitizer.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.