Split Walking Tour of Gertrude Belle: The Queen of the Desert in Dalmatia
Did you see film The Queen of Desert with Nicole Kidman? This is part of the story about Gertrude Belle. The Queen of Desert visited also Dalmatia.
Her extraordinary life was like a film. British Gertrude Bell was traveller, writer, archaeologist, explorer, cartographer and political officer. She was one of the most powerful woman in the British Empire in the early 20th century, yet she has been overlooked in much of the history written about this period.
Her friends were among others Sheikhs in the Middle East ("Major Miss Bell" is still a name in Baghdad), Winston Churchill and Lawrence of Arabia.
In 1910 she decided to come to Dalmatia. Through her letters today we know that she was in Split, ruins of ancient Salona, Sibenik and Zadar. She left us also beautiful photographs in the beginning of 20th century.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local taxes
- Professional guide
- Entry/Admission - Palazzo di Diocleziano
- Entry/Admission - Archaeological Museum Split
- Entry/Admission - Ancient Salona
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Visit the same places which the greatest adventurous woman of her age see. Your walking tour in the footsteps of Gertrude Bell in Dalmatia are:
1. Split with incredible palace of Roman emperor Diocletian (UNESCO) and the Museum of Archaeology
“I walked through the palace of Diocletian - oh, I suppose you know all about this place? The greater part of the town is built inside the great palace which Diocletian made for himself after his abdication. He was a native of Salona, hard by, and he came back so to speak to his native place to spend the 12 years that remained to him of life after he ceased ruling over the world. He was still alive when Constantine reversed the policy of his whole reign by embracing Christianity. He died here, and was buried in the great mausoleum which is now the Duomo of Spalato.” [Gertrude Bell, Letter 1/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
2. Ancient Salona where she spent a lot of time with one of the most important Croatian archaeologist – priest Frane Bulić
“I are going to Salona tomorrow to see some extraordinarily interesting early Christian basilicas which Bulic has excavated.” [Gertrude Bell, Letter 2/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
“Bulić never stops talking, bless him, and he loaded me with books and invited me to join him in an expedition next day to Sebenico” [Gertrude Bell, Letter 1/4/1910, http://www.gerty.ncl.ac.uk/]
Departure Point :Riva (Promenade), Split
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.