Tour to Caltagirone and Piazza Armerina
Between pottery and Roman history: full day to visit 2 unique spots in Sicily: the city of Caltagirone, famous for arts, ceramics and baroque and the city of Piazza Armerina, which houses a unesco heritage site: the Villa Romana del Casale.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Fuel surcharge
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
What's excluded :
- Pick-up service at your accommodation or in the close vicinity, with comfortable and luxury 8-seats vehicle, at around 9:00 am.
Our first stop will be Caltagirone (UNESCO World Heritage), which is famous for its production of pottery. This tradition of ancient ceramics dates back to Arab dominations, and still holds its characteristic colours, blue and yellow. The Arabian contribution to the city culture is honored in the name of the town, that according to the most intriguing hypothesis, might be derived from the Moorish for “castle” or “fortress of vases”.
You will visit the historical center, the famous “Staircase of Santa Maria del Monte“, and the culture of pottery in all the city: excellent colored glazes blue and green that adorn the streets, staircases, balconies, squares, fountains, churches and palaces.
For the tour Caltagirone and Piazza Armerina you will enjoy a free snack: delicious tasting of typical products from Sicilian culinary tradition as the famous “tavola calda – hot table“. You will eat several arancini, pizza, calzoni, along with Sicilian Doc wine.
In the afternoon we will move to Piazza Armerina, city that hosts a huge Roman villa (UNESCO heritage site). A majestic imperial villa originally property of a powerful Roman family. Here you will find the best conserved in-site roman mosaics in the world.
The Villa Romana del Casale houses mosaic flooring – figurative and geometric – , wall mosaics, columns, stutues, capitals and coins.
You will come back at the starting point at around 6:30 pm in the afternoon.
For archaeology and artisan lovers enjoying the Tour Caltagirone and Piazza Armerina is an experience not to be missed during a trip in Sicily.
Departure Point :Piazza Federico di Svevia, 32, 95121 Catania CT, Italy
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Point: Catania, Taormina, Acitrezza, Acicastello, Giardini Naxos, Syracuse. Ask us for further information about pick-up point. The pick-up from Taormina, Giardini Naxos, Syracuse requires 25 euros per person in addition, to pay directly to the driver. The pick-up from Acitrezza, Acicastello, requires 10 euros per person in addition, to pay directly to the driver.Dates: See AvailabilityPorts
- Port of Catania
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code is smart casual
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by Sicily Day By Day